Original church with original rectory, which later became Saint Teresa’s first school building
Since its inception in 1906, Saint Teresa of Avila School has carried its calling to educate parish and local children through many buildings.
Saint Teresa of Avila parish began in 1866 along Perry Highway. In 1906, the parish’s two room rectory become the home of Saint Teresa of Avila School with one classroom of 32 students. Mother Theresa, the Benedictine Prioress, ran the school with Sr. Genevieve Johnson as the first teacher. By the early 1920s, the two classroom school was bursting at the seams.
Fr. Schoppol, who had become pastor two years previously, saw the need for a new school. The parish undertook a building fund and in 1923 the cornerstone was laid for a new yellow brick building on Perry Highway. The new school had four classrooms, and modern conveniences like steam heat, flush toilets, drinking fountains and a stage in the basement auditorium. Sr. Bertilla taught grades 1-4 and Sr. Loretta taught grades 5-8.
Rev. Joseph Dejon, Benedictine Nuns, Sister Bonaventure and Sister Genevieve; housekeeper, Miss Ann and the pupils of Saint Teresa School in 1914
Upper school building
As the parish and the North Hills continued to grow, a third school – our current building – was planned. Built in 1953, the school had 10 classrooms within one floor. By 1955 the school expanded to add new classrooms, a cafeteria, kitchen, and gym. In 1997 extensive remodeling of the school was conducted. The library and computer lab were enlarged and moved, the art room and language room were created, and the kitchen was renovated.
The mission of Saint Teresa of Avila School is to provide a foundation in the Catholic faith as we integrate Christian values with the spiritual, intellectual, emotional, social, and physical development of the child. Committed to the highest standards of academic excellence, we enrich our students with the knowledge and skills essential for life-long learning in the 21st Century.
Father Schoppol at groundbreaking ceremonies for the new (current) school – November 16, 1952