Our goal has always been to help our school make a difference in someone’s life or situation through some activity, whether it be sending a smile via cards, serving a meal, or bringing awareness and action to issues facing those less fortunate or those experiencing hardships. Our goal is to make connections and to learn from one another what it means to be the Body of Christ.
Our hope is to raise the bar when it comes to putting our faith into action. The call is to be active! Now is the time to lay the foundations for a long-standing relationship with volunteerism. No better is the reward than to hear a student say how good it felt to help someone or for them to realize that they really are the hands and feet of Christ through which they can do good. Our students, both young and old, are continuously being ambassadors for Christ and learning that in giving, they receive . . . rewards that are intangible.
Make a Lunch for the Homeless, Red Door, St. Mary of Mercy Church
- 160 lunches
- Students make/pack a lunch for the recipients of the Red Door Lunch Program during Catholic Schools Week (or other times): PB &J with fruit, snacks and drinks in decorated bags.
- Different grades perform different tasks.
Halloween Treats for the Homeless – Red Door, St. Mary of Mercy Church
- Student donation of candy from their own bags for distribution (carload amt. of generosity)
Baby Bottle Campaign, Pregnancy Care Centers
- Baby bottles filled with spare change/checks – student or family donation for local centers
Rosalia House for moms and moms-to-be and their children (Catholic Charities of Pittsburgh)
- Baby care items, cards of support and congratulations, small token a mom might like
Respect Life Certificates, Balloons and Collages – student display of written statements on the importance of respecting life
- Life certificates and collages, pink and blue cutout paper balloons lining the halls
Shoes (and Coats) for Appalachia
- Gently worn shoe collection to benefit Fr. Beiting’s Mission in KY
- 6 years, close to 5,000 pairs of shoes and 100s of coats collected over the span
- Good Deed Bead construction – St. Therese the Little Flower
- CANSTRUCTION – artistic expression building w/ donated canned goods and local distribution
- G.A.S.P. Themes – what’s it mean (Good Deeds – Almsgiving – Sacrifice – Penance)
World Hunger Awareness Day, Ash Wednesday – RICE BOWL PROJECT
- Lenten Kickoff – students participate voluntarily in a witnessing act of solidarity against hunger. A lunch of a scoop of rice, piece of white bread, 2oz. cheese, and a cup of If packing, students are asked to pack a less bountiful lunch.
8th Grade Day of Caring Visit
- Light of Life Missions, Jubilee Soup Kitchen, Red Door and St. Joseph’s House of Hospitality
Class of…Tee Shirt Fundraiser for Fr. Scott Seethaler Mission
- ST. TERESA LIGHTING THE WAY on the front
- CLASS OF… with all first name signatures of that specific class on back
Catholic Charities (Diocese of Pittsburgh), Refugee Program
- House wares/linens/bedding/toiletries, Child & SM adult-sized sweaters, jackets, coats, gloves/hats
Bulk Head Banners – use of school bulkhead in main hall/others for monthly/seasonal messages
All School Rosary
Buckets/Cleaning supplies for Haiti disaster
Resident Bingo – Vincentian Home
- Voluntary service to aid residents in marking cards/playing bingo/awarding small prizes (15 total max students, 6-8 graders)
St. Cyril’s Food Bank
- Emergency donations: canned fruit, canned soups, Ramen noodles, tuna, soap products, etc.
- Service volunteers, 1x/month, set-up, organize, stock tables & pack client grocery bags (5 volunteers)
Veteran’s Day Service Program
- Invitation to any student family member, relative, or friend of family who served or serves to a program honoring these brave men/women – vets and active. Students assemble to sing patriotic songs, honor veterans and those serving currently, and presentation of a thank you scroll to each service man/woman in attendance.
Friendship Bracelet Making – goodwill for soldiers overseas to share with children
Soldier Care Pack overseas – cards, cds, sm games, mag, flip flops, etc
Valentines for Veterans
St. Nick’s Day Student Project
- Students cut and decorate a paper shoe outline with sayings, pictures, words, that depict helping, sharing, or caring (things like St. Nicholas) and leave cutouts out on desks over weekend in hopes St. Nick will leave a small treat. According to legend.
Christmas Caroling – Little Sisters of the Poor
- “Gift of Song” voluntary performance (all grades – 30+ volunteers)
- Students bring residents to performance and escort them back to their rooms.
Christmas Toy Drive – Genesis House
- Collection of gently used and new toys by school students (3 van loads)
Book Drive Catholic Charities of Pittsburgh – (Thanksgiving or Christmas) gently-used children’s books chosen from their own collections for recipients
Santa Breakfast/Easter Bunny lunch – Oaxaca Mission (Mexico)
- Voluntary student service to aid in crafts and where needed at breakfast and/or lunch
Love Walk – 1 mile – Sunday in February Sacred Heart Parish – Shadyside 2pm Mass w/ Bishop.
- Participants carry donated food, infant clothing and baby formula they brought to East End Cooperative Ministries soup kitchen. Shows hardships of homeless who carry their possessions.
Athletic Shoe Drive & Scarves, Hats, and Mittens Collection for the children of Greene County
- New athletic shoes, winter accessories (as above), and monetary donations collected
Won’t You Be My Neighbor Day?
- Honoring the values & work of Mister Fred Rogers by celebrating what it means to be a neighbor!
How to Get Involved
Our plan is to grow our group by inviting parents to accept our call to become part of an important and rewarding team. The extent to which individuals are able to participate is up to them. We meet monthly to share ideas and plan activities/projects but also communicate through email regularly. We are excited and believe everyone has great ideas to contribute as well as prior experiences to share that will only help make the Saint Teresa experience more complete.
Spiritual Enrichment Service Committee